Brainstorming possible Manifestos relevant to enhancing the Massey Campus ecosystem.
- move towards resource sustainability by increasing environmental literacy
- reduce waste (up-cycling/ regenerative design)
- meeting human needs but not at the expense of the environment
- respecting natural spaces and how they are used
- holding people ecologically accountable, eliminating natural debt.
- Seating Area outside the Pyramid and Photography Block : It is a space that is not utilised enough. It is not very inviting, but there is lots of potential. Improving the space would include designing a private , sheltered and creative space for students. Natural light and water runoff can be utilised. Design principle- Solutions Grow from Place.
- Carpark between Massy and Wellington College : It is a large space but is very cold. It is exposed to the wind. People don’t tend to spend very long in the space, they just seem to walk past it. It is surrounded by buildings and warmth can be added with certain native plants. Also creating awareness of the effects of how manufactured spaces harm natural ecologies. Design principle- Make Nature Visible.
- Rooftop Garden on Block 12 : It could provide students with a sunny outdoor study space, incorporating work environment and natural ecosystems. It would be beneficial and stress free to all. There could be obstacles in terms of the roofs structure and weight limits, however I think it would be utilised by many students. Design Principle- Everyone Is A Designer and Make Nature Visible.
- Visually communicating the impacts on Natural Environments and how meeting human needs, without the expense of natural ecosystems, can become sustainable.
- Making people and communities aware of how eco-design can help make people accountable for their roles in keeping natural ecosystems integrity.